Dipping into the file of photos from our recent visit to Beamish again, this time looking at some of the many buildings on site. Most of these have been re-located, (or translocated is the word used on the Beamish website) stone by stone, brick by brick, from outlying towns and villages and now form an important part of the structure and layout of the museum.The town area, officially opened in 1985, depicts a typical street scene of around 1913.Ravensworth Terrace is a row of terraced houses, presented as the premises and living areas of various professionals, e.g. a music teacher, dentist and solicitor.The school opened on site in 1992. The building originally stood in East Stanley, It was donated by Durham County Council. No they are not IPads on the desks! Who remembers a Stephens Ink thermometer from school days?
The relocation of Pit Hill Chapel was completed in 1990. Originally opened in the 1850s, it first stood not far from its present site, having been built in what would eventually become Beamish village. It houses a fine replica of a double-lensed acetylene gas powered magic lantern as the chapel would have been used for various community activities.
As brass band enthusiasts we had to visit the Hetton Silver Band Hall which was opened in 2013.
As one of the more recent ‘translocations’ we felt it need to weather a bit as the brickwork looked new and pristine as did the surrounding block paving. However, it represents the role of numerous colliery bands in the area. The hall had been used by the Hetton Silver Band, founded in 1887, and the band donated the hall to the museum after they merged with Broughtons Band of South Hetton to form the Durham Miners’ Association Band. It is still used for performances at the museum.
St Helen’s Church was relocated from its original site in Eston, North Yorkshire where it had existed since around 1100. It opened at the Beamish site in November 2015.